Chocolate Peanut Butter Jelly Roll
Not to be mistaken for the classic sandwich, this jelly roll is a sumptuous mousse wrapped in Butter Golden Cake and glazed with Creamy Home-Style Classic Chocolate Frosting.
- Hands-on Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 140 Minutes
- Servings: 10 to 12 Servings
- Difficulty: EXPERT
- Whip 3 cups heavy cream and 3 tbsp. sugar until the consistency of soft sour cream, Do not over whip. You can always whip it a little more later on. If you over whip the cream it turns to butter.
- Prepare the milk chocolate mousse. Chop the milk chocolate, melt it carefully in a microwave for 10 seconds at a time. Stir the chocolate after each heating. Reserve.
- Prepare Gelatin: sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup of milk and stir in. The gelatin will soften and swell. Heat ½ cup of cream and ¼ cup of milk to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened gelatin mixture. Stir in warm melted chocolate and peanut butter. Fold the peanut butter milk chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Blend cake mix, water, softened butter and eggs in large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Place 2 cups of batter in your cookie sheet and spread evenly. Bake until the cake springs back in the center 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 2 minutes. Place a parchment paper sheet over your jelly roll. Place another cookie sheet on top of the parchment sheet and invert your jelly roll to remove it from the cookie sheet.
- Once the jelly roll is cool remove the parchment paper on the top but leave the parchment on the bottom. Carefully spread 2 cups of the cooled and firm milk chocolate mousse over the entire surface. To roll: start from one long side, pick up the parchment paper and curl the cake into a roll removing the parchment as you roll. Use the parchment as a helper to prevent your fingers from poking through the cake. Roll the rolled cake in parchment and freeze 1 hour to firm up the cake and allow for easy handling.
- Stir the chocolate frosting. Remove the jelly roll from the freezer and place on a cookie sheet and frost the entire jelly roll with the Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Classic Chocolate Frosting.
- Chill the glazed jelly roll and then cut the ends as pictured. Place your jelly roll on your serving platter turning the cut ends out and stand up to see your clean cuts and give the impression of a log.
- This cake must be refrigerated until served.