- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- (for variations try chocolate cake mix for black forrest cheesecake)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 3 tbsp. lemon
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1 (1 lb. 5 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Reserve 1 cup of dry cake mix.
- In large mixing bowl, combine remaining cake mix, 1 egg and oil (mixture will be crumbly). Press crust mixture evenly into bottom and 3/4 way up the sides of greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- In same bowl, blend cream cheese and sugar.
- Add 3 eggs and reserved cake mix; beat 1 minute at medium speed.
- At low speed slowly add milk and flavorings; mix until smooth.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes until center is firm.
- When cool, top with pie filling.
- Chill before serving. Store in refrigerator; freeze covered with foil. Makes a 13 x 9 inch cheesecake.
- (let cool in oven until characteristic crack forms in middle of cake. when completely cool top with 1 large can or 1-1/2 regular size can cherry pie filling)
I remembered reserving one cup of mix for the cheesecake, and using the rest for the crust. So I started trying to recreate the recipe Bert had given me, never getting it right. 10 years later-- still trying. Then one day everything just went together beautifully and I made a cheesecake that everyone swooned over.
Since then, I only need to bring "Marcia's" cheesecake to family gatherings. I never bother to make New York style, or no-bake, or any other cheesecake. This one is special and everybody loves it! Today, out of curiosity, I searched for cheesecake from cake mix. I find the (almost identical) recipe that took me 10 years to figure out. Where was the internet then, when I could have really used it?
Most of the time I don't bother with topping, the cheesecake is delicious without it, and I rarely buy pie filling. But sometimes I will make a filling with fresh or frozen strawberries.
Nobody doesn't like this cheesecake. I have seen adolescents in my family disrespect their elders when trying to get their piece of cheesecake. I am not telling my family and friends about this online, I’ve been taking credit for it for too long.