Strawberry Shortcake Lemonade Torte
This was such a fun cake to make. When you slice the cake and see the pretty different colors of frosting and then smell the lovely scent of fresh strawberries and lemon...and it tastes as good as it looks.
1 (18.25 oz) box
Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
1 1/3 cups
1 (16 oz) can
lemon pie filling
packets of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Strawberry Shortcake Flavor Mix and 2 cans of Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
red food coloring
1 1/2 cups
strawberries, diced, patted dry
sliced lemon, coated in sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans.
- In a large mixing bowl place cake mix, eggs, water and oil; mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pans and bake according to package directions; approximately 28-31 minutes.
- Remove from oven, invert onto cooling racks, cool.
- Slice each cake layer in half horizontally. Now you have 4 layers.
- Spread a 1/2 cup of lemon pie filling on top of 3 of the cake layers.
- Freeze for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spoon both containers of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter into a medium sized bowl.
- Mix in both packets of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Strawberry Shortcake Flavor Mix. Stir until evenly blended.
- Place half of the frosting into another bowl, set aside.
- Then divide the remaining frosting into 3 separate bowls.
- Add 2 drops of food coloring to the 1st bowl;
- add 4 drops to the 2nd bowl and add 6 drops to the 3rd bowl.
- Place a lemon topped layer of cake onto a serving platter.
- Frost with the darkest red color, top with a 1/2 cup diced berries.
- Top with second layer, frost with the next color, top with berries.
- Add the 3rd layer and frost with the lightest color, top with berries.
- Top with the last layer. In the center spoon a mound of lemon pie filling.
- Frost the remaining top and sides of the torte with the remaining Strawberry Shortcake Duncan Hines Frosting Creations.
- Poke the wooden skewers all the way into the cake, until it touches the bottom.
- **Using the skewers is a great way to stabilize the cake to make certain it doesn't slip.
- It also prevents the plastic wrap from touching the frosting
- Cover cake and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve remove skewers from cake.
- Garnish with slices of sugared lemon and strawberries