My Grandma used to make this for us, and our favorite was Strawberry cake made with strawberry ice cream and 7 minute icing! Since this cake is dense, I have used it many times to make 'shaped' cakes. The cake pictured is one I made for my boyfriends' mothers 75th birthday. The 7 was white cake with strawberry ice cream and the 5 was chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip ice cream!
- 1 pkg Strawberry Duncan Hines cake mix
- 1 pint (2 cups) melted ice cream (Strawberry or Strawberry cheese cake)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can FROSTING
- or frosting recipe of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- grease & flour a 9 x 13 baking pan
- mix the ingredients with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Beat an additional 2 minutes on medium. Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. , approx. 35 min.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then invert onto a cake board or cookie sheet and let cool completely.
- I will place the cake in the freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting into the desired shape.
- To make the numbers, I choose a font that I liked on my computer , then enlarged it.
- I cut the paper numbers into 3 separate pieces, then layed them out on the cake.
- I punched holes in the cake with a cake tester ( or you could use a toothpick) all around the paper numbers.
- I removed the paper, and with a long, sharp knife, cut along the dotted line. Using the same knife, I then cut the numbers in half horizontally to put a layer of icing in the middle.
- I then re-assembled the cake pieces on a cake board into the desired numbers. You can now frost or decorate in any way you choose!
Congrats on the Birthday Bash Recipe Contest i can not wait to try it
Congrats on winning the contest! Beautiful cake! Good job!