Strawberry lemon upside-down cupcakes filled with a strawberry rhubarb compote, topped with my sweet and tangy rhu-berry icing, strawberries, and lemon zest. The sweet strawberries and unexpected punch of the lemon and rhubarb add a uniquely refreshing element to these charming summery cakes.
- Wilton brownie blossom silicone mold
- 1 box Duncan Hines® Lemon Supreme cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 packet of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Strawberry Shortcake Flavor Mix and 1 can of Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
- 10 Stalks of rhubarb, small dice
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the brownie blossom mold well with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs, water and lemon zest.
- In a sauce pan, combine diced rhubarb, sugar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and stir occasionally until rhubarb is soft. Add half of the sliced strawberries and reduce mixture until it resembles jam. Remove from heat.
- Line the bottom of each blossom cup with remaining sliced strawberries. Fill each cup halfway with lemon cake batter, then drop a heaping teaspoon of strawberry rhubarb compote in the middle of each blossom. Top with another layer of yellow cake batter just covering the compote.
- Put the filled blossom mold on a sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the silicone mold before popping out onto a plate.
- Pour pack of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Strawberry Shortcake Flavor Mix into can of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter. Stir in 1 cup of the strawberry rhubarb compote, and the powdered sugar. Stir until evenly blended.
- Allow cakes to cool completely. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the "rhu-berry" icing on top of the strawberry side of each cake. Top with fresh strawberries and lemon zest. Enjoy!
congrats on the win! I bet you learned alot with Chef Joe!
Best in the world!!!!!!
how neat is that! good color combo too!