- 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tub Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sprinkles or additional garnishes
- Preheat oven to 350°F for metal or glass pans, 325°F for dark or coated pans. Grease sides and bottom of each pan with shortening. Flour lightly. (Use baking cups for cupcakes).
- Blend dry mix, water, oil and eggs in large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter in pans and bake immediately.
- Bake in a 13 x 9-inch pan for 35-38 minutes. Add 3-5 minutes to bake time for dark or coated pans. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- Garnish, and enjoy!
Also Red Velvet cake is not Red Velvet cake without the original frosting. I have the recipe and will share it with all of you. It's a bit tricky to make but I won't use any other frosting except the frosting the Red Velvet cake was meant to have on it. I'm a traditionalist what can I say
Red Velvet Cake Frosting
In a small pan on medium heat mix until a thick rue (the texture of paste) is formed, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
6 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Put mixture in refrigerator and chill.
Next: Cream 1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
until very light and fluffy
Slowly add flour mixture and beat until whip cream consistency
This is the best frosting EVER and works on any cake
Duncan Hines needs to find an all natural alternative to the current Red #40 (Allura Red AC - http://bit.ly/jEFQt ) such as carminic acid ( http://bit.ly/jjG5o )
In Europe, Allura Red AC is not recommended for consumption by children. It is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France and Switzerland.
In the United States, Allura Red AC is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in cosmetics, drugs, and food. On June 30, 2010, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) called for the FDA to ban Red 40. Executive Director Michael Jacobson said, "These synthetic chemicals do absolutely nothing to improve the nutritional quality or safety of foods, but trigger behavior problems in children and, possibly, cancer in anybody."
Remember to grease the baking pans!