- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines® Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 cans Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
- 2 packets Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Cherry Vanilla Flavor Mix
- 2 cups Duncan Hines® Comstock® Cherry Pie Filling
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake 28 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely and remove from pans.
- Pour 1 packet of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Cherry Vanilla Flavor Mix into 1 can of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter. Stir until evenly blended.
- Repeat with second can and packet.
- Place first cake layer on a plate and lightly frost top of cake layer with the Cherry Vanilla frosting you just created.
- Build up frosting around edge of layer to contain the cherry pie filling.
- Spoon Duncan Hines® Comstock® Cherry Pie Filling into middle of cake layer.
- Place second cake layer on top of first.
- Frost the sides and top of stacked cake and chill for 15 minutes.
- Gently score top of finished cake with a sharp knife to delineate 8 slices of cake. Decorate each slice with a swirl of frosting and a maraschino cherry.
- To achieve a smooth layer of frosting on the top of your cake, run your frosting knife under hot water. Wipe it dry and smooth frosting with the hot knife.
How it Works Video
See how easy it is to use Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Mixes.