- 1 box Duncan Hines® Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour cake mix into clean, large mixing bowl. Whisk together water, orange and lemon rind.
- Add water-rind mixture. Prepare and bake according to package directions in ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Prepare sauce while cake cools. Place sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Mix until well blended and no cornstarch lumps remain. Stir in orange juice. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently. Bring to a gentle boil and cook just until sauce thickens and lightly coats a spoon, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Blend in butter, lemon rind and salt until smooth. If a richer sauce is desired, mix in 1 to 2 tablespoons more butter.
- Serve each slice of cake with warm or room temperature sauce. Store sauce covered in refrigerator.
- A medium lemon yields about 2 to 3 teaspoons zest; a medium orange yields about 1-1/2 tablespoons zest.
- Fresh berries also make a delicious accompaniment to this cake with or without the citrus sauce.